Monday, January 23, 2006

Spring Cleaning: A Clean House Before I Have To Move!

You remember that terror. You have to move and its time. Time to decide what to keep and what to throw. While you're under the bed you discover dust bunnies the size of Harvey. (A six foot tall, talking rabbit,only one person could see). Man, has it been that long since I've been under here? Yes, those were the days.

CyberGal has come up with something novel and refreshing. I'm cleaning my room, as though I'm about to move, but I am not moving! My God, to look under this bookcase, you'd never know I get paid to clean up after other people! I finally took a daring plunge. A friend suggested a system to de-clutter. The twelve to eighteen month rule: if you haven't read it, or worn it in either a year, or a year-and-a-half, out it goes! Oh, God, I have to make decisions! Sure, there will be that .001 per cent of stuff I'll miss, but the rest, is GONE! I now have space in my room, and can arrange my belongings outside of cardboard boxes, formerly stored under my bed.

Also, my beloved books will find new owners who will love them as I did. I finally have to admit to myself that I'm not going to re-read any print book again. I have also let go a few treasured religious reference books. I now do all of that on the computer and what good are these beautiful books under my bed keeping my dust bunnies company?

There is true magic in this. I am being really good to me. When I want to I clean and organize exceptionally well. I have hired myself as a professional housekeeper for ME! I can now actually host friends here for dinners and entertainment. I feel somehow free. When I get it all spiffy, I'll upload photos of my small, but very cyberGal-ish room.

No comments: